Have you taken Nexium, Prilosec, or Prevacid?
Heartburn drugs including Prilosec, Nexium, Prevacid are associated with kidney disease. Thus, a Prilosec, Nexium, or Prevacid lawsuit may be an option for those who have suffered medical ramifications and/or difficulties after taking the aforementioned heartburn medications.
It’s no secret that millions of Americans use proton pump inhibitors such as Nexium, Prilosec, and Prevacid to treat acid reflux disease and reduce hydrochloric acid that is produced in the stomach. Nexium, Prilosec, and Prevacid are known as esomeprazole, which belongs to a group of drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPI).
Injury Linked to Nexium, Prilosec, and Prevacid Use
Although PPIs are some of the leading prescribed medications in the United States, their use has been linked to several critical adverse risks and side effects. Such side effects have included severe conditions like chronic kidney disease and acute interstitial nephritis. Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a slow and gradual loss of kidney function over a period of several years. Ultimately, CKD leads to kidney failure if not treated correctly.
Common Side Effects
Common side effects of Nexium, Prilosec, and Prevacid include:
- Decreased appetite
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal pain
- Other Nexium Risks
More serious side effects associated with Nexium, Prilosec, and Prevacid include:
- Acute Interstitial Nephritis (AIN): AIN is a type of renal injury associated with sudden deterioration of renal function described by the inflammation of the tissues surrounding the kidneys.
- Renal Failure: Renal or kidney failure happens when the kidneys lose the capacity to remove wastes and balance fluids. When kidney failure occurs, it causes the blood pressure to rise and results in an excess fluid buildup in the body.
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI): AKI occurs suddenly and is described as a loss of kidney function that normally develops within a mere seven day period. AKI is serious and often leads to other dangerous complications such as metabolic acidosis, dangerously high potassium levels that lead to heart issues, uremia, changes in body fluid balance, and in some cases death.
- Bone Fractures: According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), prolonged use of Prilosec, Prevacid, or Nexium, is often associated with an increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist, or spine.
- Diarrhea: According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Nexium enhances the likelihood of severe diarrhea as an after effect of an infection of the intestines.
Call the Testa Law Group at 877-780-9052 to begin your path to recovery with a free consultation today.